Wednesday, December 10, 2008

People Who Speak for Me: Keith Olbermann

Being a medical student in the mid-1990s, I chose not to have cable TV, for I knew that it would likely be such a temptation and time-waster that it would lead to my downfall. Not wanting to emulate Dr. Nick Riviera ("Hi, everybody!"), I set my sights higher and hopefully have achieved some Julius Hibbertness and/or Hawkeye Piercitude. Note to self: TV doctors as role models makes for another interesting blog topic.

Anyhoo, I apparently missed the best Sportscenters ever, with Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann elevating the show into their own art form. The anchors that have succeeded them are entertaining enough, but I can't help but feel like they're living in the shadows of those two giants. This must be how the baby boomers feel when they tell me that all of the good songs have already been written.

So now, Olbermann has found a new voice on MSNBC. He's had quite the career metamorphosis. As a modern-day Edward R. Murrow disciple ("Good night, and good luck"), he has settled onto my list of TV personalities who speak for me, such as Jon Stewart and Lewis Black. Now that school is long gone, I can finally see for myself what mischief Keith is up to.

For the video link, I've selected Keith's piece on gay marriage. This is a major issue for me. In fact, I see the parallels between the gay rights movement and the civil rights movement of the 1960s, and I hope that future generations will look back in wonderment at a time when two people couldn't marry because of their sex. Take it away, Keith:

1 comment:

Ken said...

Enjoy your flames.