Tuesday, December 16, 2008

People Who Speak for Me: Leonard Pitts, Jr.


While the editorial board of my local paper, the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star, is too conservative for my taste, at least the paper publishes guest columnists and syndicated columns from across the political spectrum. It is through the FLS that I first read the columns of Leonard Pitts.

I haven't been a regular reader of late, but I remember some columns of his that have really struck a chord with me. He, like (and before) Keith Olbermann, gave a solid, well-thought out statement in support of gay rights. He's one of those columnists that I read to (a) see if I'm missing anything that I should be tuned in to, and (b) for validation. He calls it like he sees it, and we see eye-to-eye. Here, for good measure, is another link, entitled "No, Ms. Reddick, God doesn't sanction your homophobia".

Leonard Pitts, Jr. is a columnist for the Miami Herald and winner of the 2004 Pulitzer Prize for Commentary.

1 comment:

BD said...

I have met Leonard Pitts -- not sure if he still works out of the McClatchy (formerly Knight Ridder) Washington bureau, but when I was at Knight Ridder Tribune across the hall, he was occasionally around. Nice guy.